Thursday 5 January 2012

FIRS' DAY AT THE POOL

"Mom! I'll learn swimming in three days time, you wait and watch!", I shouted.
"Yeah perhaps...........Maybe.", my mom replied unconvincingly.

I was just waiting to jump into the pool the next day. I had swimming classes, and swimming used to always interest me. Not that I wanted to be a pro, it was just fun to learn, and you could show-off a lot after learning the particular sport. Six hundred dirhams was rather costly, but worth it.

The very same day, me and my dad went out hunting for swimming trunks and goggles(I was relieved as I was finally out of the house after say, three days). We got it in ADIDAS. Branded clothes is what I love. We came back home, delighted with our shopping.

Next day I got up happily. Packed everything I needed for the class inside a bag. Dad, drove me to my class, with some difficulty as it was the day after Christmas, as it was very messed up outside, with broken spray painting bottles etc. We got there after ten minutes of road rash, and finally met my teacher, Chris.

After a quick change of clothes I jumped into the swimming pool. My instructor(Chris)literally jumped into the pool. Then asked the strangest question in the world;
"Do you know how to blow a candle?"
What? What has that got to do with swimming? I am here to learn swimming , Mr.Chris!, I thought.
"Course I do.", I said.
"Okay, so go under water and blow a candle.", he said.
Which candle? What candle? Who's candle? Can a candle burn under water?, I thought.
"Blow a candle," he said. " Like this."
He actually showed me how to blow a candle. He blew at his fingers and then told me to do the same under water(without the finger, of course). Then I knew what he said. I dipped my head into the water and blew air out of my lungs.
"No, no!", Chris said, startling me. "First inhale air through your mouth and then blow the bubbles under water."
"Oh," I said. "Like that."
Then I inhaled air through my mouth, burning my lungs with chlorine and dampness, and dipped my head into the water again and blew air out of my lungs, thus forming bubbles inside water.
"Good!", my teacher said. "Now come here, catch this wall and blow bubbles, stretching your arms."
I did what I was told.
"Now dip your head into the water, then come up, look at tree in front of you, inhale through your mouth, dip your head into the water again, and blow your bubbles."
"Aye.", I replied.
Again I did what I was told.
"Look at the tree!", my teacher told me.
'Kay I'm getting it, stop pushing me., I thought.

After some time of repeating the exercise, my teacher asked me to move my legs while blowing the bubbles. He kept asking me to relax in between(which I found hard to do).
"Good! Now time to learn how to float.", my teacher said.
"Thank God! Finally!", I said.

He kept lecturing me about keeping the body straight, not forgetting to blow the bubbles and so on. After substantial practising, I got to go home.

At home my mom asked me, "How was your class?"
"Good.", I replied
"So, how did you like swimming?"
"Like it?! I'm obsessed with it!"
"And, besides, about learning swimming in three days, I got to think over it.", I said.

Hasta la Vista,
K

4 comments:

  1. good to know u r learning swimming....well with rgds to the blog sum errors in between....but otherwise good....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rati- i've corrected the error. thnk u for noticin them

    ReplyDelete
  3. gud work, k! i am happy that u r enjoying swimmin! life is all about doin things passionately. that's exactly we, as parents tell u all the time!

    seize the opportunity and enjoy! i can see that u are evolving and iam happy 4 u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Champ am really happy for you dear. glad to read your posts it feels wow to read about you.

    ReplyDelete